The more recently titled problem of “text neck” grows ever more prevalent. This is neck pain as a result of ongoing use of and looking down at a mobile phone or other device.
It may cause pain, muscle tension, sometimes nerve interruption and if practiced regularly enough, maybe speed up wear and tear changes. Long term practice of any postural bad habit will cause some areas to get over-worked and others to weaken, creating an imbalance in the way the body is held and consequently functions.
Some tips to avoid this problem:
- Raise your phone or other device more to eye level to avoid tilting your neck forward.
- Stand or sit up straight.
- Take frequent breaks away from the device you’re using.
- Stretch and strengthen your body to maintain good function.
- Treat pain as a warning sign and address any potential problems if and when they arise.
Follow this link for some basic neck mobility exercises. Let me know if you need further help.