A number of treatment methods might be used depending on the problem. Treatment can include specific soft-tissue massage and stretch. This could include work onto muscles, tendons, ligaments and fascia. The mobility of joints can also be improved using a variety of articulation, traction and osteopathic manipulation techniques where appropriate.
A treatment session is also likely to include advice on how to manage your symptoms and move forward into the longer-term. This is commonly in the form of advice on relieving pain, on exercises and postural care.
Treatment is often gentle and rarely painful. It is quite common to experience some stiffness or soreness following a treatment session. This is a similar feeling to having an exercise workout, it commonly lasts 24 to 48 hours. Some people feel tired after their session, so consider this alongside your other commitments when you book your appointment.
What to expect at your consultation
- Your initial visit to Rivermead Osteopaths will last 45-60 minutes.
- A medical case history will be taken, followed by an assessment of position and movement.
- For this, you will be asked to remove some of your clothing (relevant to the area being examined). Please feel free to bring some shorts or leggings to change into if you feel more comfortable wearing these in the session.
- If for any reason you feel uncomfortable attending the session alone, it is your right to bring a family member or friend with you.
- A diagnosis will then be made and a treatment plan discussed. Please ask questions.
- As long as it is appropriate, and you are happy to proceed, as much treatment as possible is carried out in the first visit.
- Follow-up sessions are 30 minutes long. These consist of catch-up, re-examination, treatment and advice as appropriate.
- Initial consultation / treatment – 45 to 60 minutes: £60
- Follow-up sessions – 30 minutes: £45
- Extended treatment time – 1 hour follow-up session: £70
- Remote video consultation – up to 30 minutes: £25